In Larry's words

How it all got started (as Larry explained in an email):

I started collecting maps when I was 5 and was lucky to be a third generation family member that traveled. When I was 10 (in 1974), at a party my Dad hosted, one of his friends was in the Marine Corps Band. Being the "kid" at a mostly adult party was odd, but he took the time to sit and tell me about his travels. He said he had a map of the US with all the counties and colored in all the ones he visited. Being a map collector and traveler, I thought that would be very cool. So the next day, I went to the library to find map companies that had an outline map, so I could do the same. To make a long story short, I had to ask my Mom if I could make a long distance call (back then it was very expensive) to call North American Maps and order a copy of this map. Then I had to ask if she would write a check for the map and shipping. It was about $3.50. Not a lot now, but when you are 10, it was a lot.

Today, I still have the same map and I bring it with me on all my travels. It is frayed, taped and bit fragile...I treat it like a baby! I joke with my family and friends that I want this map posted next to my casket when I go. But I can't go until I have (at least) the continental US finished. This has been the #1 project on my "bucket list."









Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Check off Maryland - complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment